© Alex Watson 2017 All rights reserved.
SESKINORE LODGE, SESKINORE AND MULLAGHMORE.
Seskinore Lodge, the seat of Mrs Perry, (relict of the late George Perry, Esq.) is part and parcel of the Seskinore estate, and comprehends a neat and fashionable lodge, a tastefully planted lawn, and about sixty Irish acres of a farm, well adapted to the growth of flax and corn crops, and to that of garden vegetables and ornamental trees. The demesne, however lies low, and the prospect from the lodge is exclusively confined to the little beauties of the home view; in which the rose, sweet William, and the sweet brier, seem to vie, which shall diffuse the larger proportion of its fragrance through the surrounding scene.
The ancient residence of this family, was at a place called Mullaghmore, (most likely the Irish name of the townland on which the old family house is situated) but denominated Perrymount, during their occupation of the place; and this with the beautiful village of Seskinore, erected by the Perry family, in the immediate neighbourhood of the lodge, are parts and parcels of the same property; but of the extent of this property, its natural history, or the names of extent of the townlands composing it, beyond what has been just mentioned, we know nothing. Some who profess (what we do not) to have a deep and extensive acquaintance with the Irish language, maintain that Seskinore, or more properly Sheskinore, is a combination of two Irish words which (by a free translation) may be made to signify “the rich or golden soil of thistles,” the thistle weed, when shooting up in large quantities being the sure indication of a rich and marrow soil. Whether this be admissible as a free translation, or whether it diverges too far from the literal meaning of the parent root to come within the limits of a just literary licence, we presume not to say; nut as the best that we could make out we give it, and let the reader who finds fault with our translation provide us with a better.
These various respectable features of the Perry property, stand within a short walk (perhaps an English mile or more) of the great coach road between Dublin and Derry, by Omagh, which is the post town to them, and from which, they are about five Irish miles distant.
N.B. A school for the education of the protestant children of the neighbourhood, has been established in or near the village of Seskinore, by Mrs. Perry, and when we passed through that country in 1830, it was well attended, and very satisfactorily conducted by Mr. Halcoo, a young man educated for this office by the Education Society, in Kildare street, Dublin.
(Ireland in the nineteenth century, and seventh of England's dominion; enriched with copious descriptions of the resources of the soil, and seats and scenery of the north west district, A.Atkinson Esq, London, Hamilton, Adams, 1833.)